Search This Blog

I live in chronic pain. The reason for my pain, is Endometriosis. I was diagnosed through surgery when I was 17. I have decided to have this blog, so that those in my life can get a peek into my day to day issues that affect my life in every way.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

hello, what is endometriosis, and awaiting my "bad days" with no medication to help.

I am Canadian, been all my life.
Born and raised in ontario.

My life was rather pain free untill the age of 14.
Then the pain began just as my period did.
Almost 4 years later i would learn that my pain, short cycles, and (eww) heavy bleeding were all because of a disease known as Endometriosis.

What is Endometriosis, well that i hope to answer many times, and many ways in this blog.
But i will start with cutting from "the endometriosis association".

Endometriosis is a painful, chronic disease that affects 5 1/2 million women and girls in the USA and Canada, and millions more worldwide. It occurs when tissue like that which lines the uterus (tissue called the endometrium) is found outside the uterus -- usually in the abdomen on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and ligaments that support the uterus; the area between the vagina and rectum; the outer surface of the uterus; and the lining of the pelvic cavity. Other sites for these endometrial growths may include the bladder, bowel, vagina, cervix, vulva, and in abdominal surgical scars. Less commonly they are found in the lung, arm, thigh, and other locations.

This misplaced tissue develops into growths or lesions which respond to the menstrual cycle in the same way that the tissue of the uterine lining does: each month the tissue builds up, breaks down, and sheds. Menstrual blood flows from the uterus and out of the body through the vagina, but the blood and tissue shed from endometrial growths has no way of leaving the body. This results in internal bleeding, breakdown of the blood and tissue from the lesions, and inflammation -- and can cause pain, infertility, scar tissue formation, adhesions, and bowel problems.




i am starting this blog, since i want to have one, that is about my pain (chronic) that people who either suffer from chronic pain can relate to me, or those who know me can learn to understand things more posibly.

Today i sit here in pain (sitting alone is causing me more pain then laying down was), however i am now in the same room as Scott so we can chit-chat.
I am not to take my perscribed pain meds, my "copeing meds" that were perscribed to me are less effective then i find advil liquid jells to be (and for my daily pain, useless, ... my bad days.. WOW. i think M&M's could work better since at least they are fun coloured so they make me smile. And the chocolate creats happy endorphins!) So the meds i have to make my daily pain "manageble" is of no use to me, I AM takeing it though.... and nooo demerol.. the pain is not sickening today but often is the last few days (now i have to take anti-nausia meds just to not throw up from the pain at times, on my normal days)

My worrie lies with the fact i know i will have some "bad days" comming up. These bad days generaly require the use of heat pads, max demerol, and anti-nausia meds to not be begging to go to emerge to get a shot or iv pain meds. Well this time, although i still have demerol pills i want to show the doctor i am respecting his choice to get me off demerol, (and i do, i do not however respect his not wanting to give me ANYTHING to help with the pain, not even for the bad days comming this week)

So now i sit and worry, perhaps i will be fine as long as i dont move... at all. And take loads of my perscription anti-nausia meds & Gravol so i can sleep through most pain. But if my bad days are anything like they have been the last 5years without pain meds, i think i will be asking Scott to take me to the ER, yet again.

but who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment